Lake Havasu OB/GYN Care
Kevin Hooker, M.D.
Obstetrics & Gynecology located in Lake Havasu City, AZ
If your pregnancy is classified as high-risk due to your age or certain gynecological health conditions, you’re in good hands with board-certified doctor Kevin Hooker, MD, at Lake Havasu OB/GYN Care in Lake Havasu City, Arizona. He provides the most advanced obstetric care to patients of all ages, including low and high-risk pregnancies. Call to learn more or schedule an appointment online with Dr. Hooker.
High Risk Pregnancy Q & A
What is a high-risk pregnancy?
A high-risk pregnancy threatens the health of a mother or her unborn baby and requires specialized care from highly trained obstetrics providers.
Your pregnancy may be high-risk if you:
- Have an existing health condition, such as diabetes, HIV, or high blood pressure
- Are overweight or obese
- Carry multiple fetuses
- Are a teenager
- Are age 35 or older
- Have pregnancy complications of slow fetal growth or abnormal placenta position
- Drink alcohol, smoke, or use illicit drugs while pregnant
- Have a history of uterine surgery
If your pregnancy is high-risk, you can still have a healthy, full-term pregnancy. You may require frequent monitoring from Dr. Hooker, especially if you have a pre-existing health condition or require special tests to rule out genetic abnormalities and problems with fetal development.
Will I require special tests?
Dr. Hooker lets you know which special tests, if any, you’ll require during a high-risk pregnancy.
These tests may include:
- Targeted ultrasounds to check for abnormal fetal development
- Ultrasounds that check cervix length
- Amniocentesis to identify genetic conditions and neural tube defects
- Chorionic villus sampling to identify genetic conditions
- Cordocentesis to identify blood conditions, infections, and genetic disorders
- Lab tests to check for urinary tract infections and infectious diseases
During amniocentesis, your provider takes a sample of amniotic fluid from your uterus. A chorionic villus sampling procedure involves removing a sample of cells from your placenta. Dr. Hooker takes a sample of umbilical cord blood for testing during cordocentesis.
He goes over the risks and benefits associated with specialized tests to determine which, if any, are a good match for you.
Ask Dr. Hooker about 3D and 4D ultrasounds to view your unborn baby.
How can I increase my chance of a healthy pregnancy?
There are several things you can do to keep pregnancy risks as low as possible. Achieve or maintain a healthy weight before becoming pregnant, don’t drink alcohol or smoke during pregnancy, avoid or seek treatment for sexually transmitted infections, and manage chronic diseases.
Should I call my doctor?
Regardless of your pregnancy risk level, call Dr. Hooker at any sign of a pregnancy complication, such as:
- Severe headaches
- Abdominal pain or cramping
- Vaginal bleeding
- Watery vaginal discharge
- Decreased fetal movement
- Frequent contractions
- Burning or pain with urination
- Blurred vision
When you’re ready to receive top-quality care from a team of providers who specialize in high-risk pregnancies, call Lake Havasu OB/GYN Care today or book an appointment online.